Caution: Reusable Water Bottle Drinkers Beware
1 min read

Caution: Reusable Water Bottle Drinkers Beware

Reusable water bottles can harbor harmful bacteria and molds that can cause severe health issues. These include diarrhea, pneumonia, vomiting, allergies, and asthma attacks. According to a study by waterfilterguru.com, water bottles contain 20 million colony-forming units of bacteria, which is 40,000 times more than what is found on a toilet seat.

Dr. Donald Grant, a senior clinician at The Independent Pharmacy, emphasized the importance of regularly cleaning reusable water bottles. He pointed out that bottles can easily pick up bacteria from various surfaces and transfer them to the user’s mouth. Additionally, the presence of mold inside the bottle can lead to allergy symptoms and even trigger asthma attacks.

To minimize the risk of getting sick, Dr. Grant recommended cleaning the water bottle after each use and washing it thoroughly at least a few times a week. He also advised keeping the bottle out of germ-rich environments and only filling it with water, avoiding sugary or protein-rich liquids that can stimulate bacteria growth.